I arrived at the penthouse suite of The Olsen for the BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival style program launch. Here, I found tables laden with gorgeous headpieces, hard case clutch bags, jewels, killer heels and countless vases of coloured blooms.
As styling assistants primped and primed the collection, my immediate reaction was to turn around and leave. There was simply too much fabulous in one room.
I quickly found my groove in the company of the Face of Caulfield, Emma Notarfrancesco, Stylist-to-the-Stars Lana Wilkinson and Make-Up Artist/Magician Jade Kisnorbo, and assumed my role of ‘Kid In A Candy Shop.’
I was able to get up close and personal with new season pieces from Manning Cartell, Bianca Spender, Camilla and Marc and Ginger & Smart, and get the expert’s top tips in how to rock the style stakes this year at Caulfield.
‘Passion wears many colours’ is the official tagline of the 2015 BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival and as the phrase suggests, this year it’s all about colour. The traditional dress code is more relaxed at Caulfield, so have a little fun and experiment with bold shapes, pop brights, new textures and contrasting prints.
Suiting and tailoring is back in a big way and this year we can expect to see shift, bodycon and A-line dresses amongst the most popular styles, as well as full skirts/flared trouser and blouse combos.
Footwear can be summed up in two words – ‘statement heels’. Nine West is the official footwear sponsor for Caulfield and boasts a killer range of caged, laced, printed and fringed heels.
When it comes to millinery, it’s all about the crowns and veiling. Think structured, laser-cut designs, floral motifs and feathering. If you’re planning on attending a couple of race days but don’t want to invest in multiple headpieces, opt for muted tones or metallic hues in your selection.
The BMW Caulfield Cup Carnival is super cool and inherently Melbourne so make sure you enjoy a day on track. Still need persuading? Check out the Fashion Programme video here for a little more inspiration.
Style Tips For Caulfield Cup Carnival
- When it comes to shoes, you must find the perfect balance of style and comfort. It’s no easy feat (pardon the pun) but it will make or break your outfit after a couple of hours on track.
- Experiment with suiting and tailoring. A strong trouser paired back with a billowy strapless chiffon blouse is a great look and very on trend.
- Thinking of opting for a hat over a headpiece? The boater style is a classic and can carry you from the field to the bar in no time.
- When styling your outfit, think about the complete look. Your headpiece, shoes, bag and jewellery should all work together.
- Finish your outfit with flawless makeup. A strong brow is a must! Don’t be afraid to offset this with a bold lip or smoky eyes for that added punch.